Thursday, May 24, 2012

Q & A: Are nuts considered "healthy" fats?


Q.  I am in a weight loss program (Weight Watcher's) that suggests we include two servings of "healthy fats" a day. The leader mentioned using olive oil (one teaspoon) on salad or drizzled on foods as one of the servings. Are there any other things that could be considered healthy fats such as nuts? I don't know if I'll always want to pour oil on the foods I'm eating.  C.C. Holland

A.  You most certainly could use nuts as a healthy fat serving!  It sounds like the program wants to make sure you are eating a balance of many foods. Each teaspoon of olive oil (or any other oil) is about 45 calories and 5 grams of fat.
      Here are the equivalents to one healthy fat serving:

  • 10 peanuts
  • 6 cashews
  • 6 almonds
  • 1 tablespoon sunflower or pumpkin seeds
  • 16 pistachios
  • 4 walnut or pecan halves
  You could double the amount listed above, bring that amount of nuts to work with you, and call it your afternoon snack. That type of snack would do several things for you:
  1. Keep your hunger at bay
  2. Help your cholesterol levels
  3. Not raise your blood sugar
  4. Keep you away from the vending machine or a co-worker's candy dish

1 comment:

West Michigan Quilter said...

My favorite are almonds! I'm afraid I might be having a little more than 6, as I love to have a nut with every bite of banana. Thanks for the info.