Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What's for Dinner: Chicken salad with grapes and cashews



 
Yes, I know, it's still winter and I'm in Michigan. But these on-and-off warmish days (in between the snow storms) have gotten me thinking spring!  And friends who are leaving Michigan temporarily for warm vacations (the Caribbean or Florida, anyone?) are not helping my mood. So to get into the spirit, I need some lighter fare. This chicken salad fits the bill. 

The recipe was originally from Tommy;  her recipe was a list of ingredients, so I added my amounts. The recipe is very forgiving, so once you try it my way, tweak it if desired.

Chicken salad with grapes and cashews

2  12.5-ounce cans chicken breast packed in water, drained
3/4  to 1 cup light mayo (I use Kraft)
2 ribs celery, chopped (about 1.5 to 2 cups)
2 green onions, chopped
3/4  to 1 cup cashews
1 to 1.5 cups red grapes, halved
2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash original seasoning
salt and pepper (optional, I don’t use)

Mix all ingredients and chill. Serve on lettuce, or on croissants, or in half a cantaloupe.

Makes 4 dinner-sized servings.  Nutrition information per serving:  460 calories, 32 grams fat, 26 grams protein, 18 grams carbohydrate, 3 grams fiber, 55 milligrams cholesterol, 536 milligrams sodium.


1 comment:

West Michigan Quilter said...

This is my favorite thing to make, especially when grapes are on sale. I've never tried the cashews though, and will do that next time. Have you tried mixing a little curry powder in the mayo? Gives it a nutty flavor.